Other Services

In addition to the five core independent living services and employment services, the Center for Accessible Living offers a variety of other services that can support individuals with disabilities in living independently in their communities.

Equipment Loan

Murray: The Calloway County Salvation Army has generously provided funds for adaptive equipment available for loan in the Murray area. Some items not covered by insurance are purchased to be donated to qualified individuals.

Louisville: Equipment Loans are provided based on availability through equipment donations only. Consumers may borrow equipment dependent on availability in Louisville.


Donated items we accept include:

  • Durable medical goods; mobility devices such as canes, crutches, walkers; portable ramps; shower chairs or potty chairs; scooters, manual and power chairs.

  • We apologize, but currently we do not have storage room for items larger than portable ramps or power chairs/scooters

  • Not all items listed are guaranteed to be available.


For items like lifts, beds, modified vans or other vehicle items, please consider listing it in our marketplace.

For a list of items or information about donations and equipment loan, please contact our Equipment Loan Coordinators:

Louisville: Lee Ann Thomaslathomas@calky.org, (502) 589-6620.

MurrayCarrissa Johnsoncjohnson@calky.org, (270) 753-7676.



Market Place

The Marketplace is a unique bulletin board to sell, buy or give away adaptive equipment and other disability related products.

Items will be listed as a courtesy for third party individuals. Individuals sell and buy at their own risk.

No Items Currently listed.

To list an item, contact webinfo@calky.org.

We are always accepting volunteers at the Center for Accessible Living and First Impression Suit Program. There are many ways you can be a part of our programs, no matter your availability.

Please contact our office for more information about donations or volunteering.  You may call at (502) 589-6620, or fill out our contact form.

All donations are tax deductible.

Our Housing Coordinator and other experienced staff can provide:

  • Provide a list of accessible and affordable rental units

  • Information about housing rights

  • Assistance in applying for Section 8

  • Assistance in applying for Subsidized housing

  • Assistance in applying for an Olmstead voucher that can help individuals transition from nursing homes and other congregate settings to living independently in the community

  • Information about accessible apartments

  • Information about affordable housing

  • Advice and information on Landlord/Tenant communication


What is the difference between Subsidized and section 8 housing??

SUBSIDIZED HOUSING: a housing complex owns the government subsidy. Individuals must apply at each location. Click here to see the Subsidized housing list.

SECTION 8: the individual receives a subsidy from Section 8 in the form of voucher. The individual ‘owns’ the subsidy. As long as the individual abides by Section 8 rules and regulation, he or she can rent an apartment of their choosing if the landlord accepts the voucher. The voucher can move with the individual as long as they continue to abide by Section 8 rules and regulations.

The program enables eligible adults with significant disabilities to hire employees to assist with domestic, personal and transportation needs. This is a Kentucky State program, available through the Center in many parts of the state.

The Kentucky Personal Care Attendant Program (PCAP) has one purpose: to enable eligible severely disabled adults to live independently.

The program provides financial support that allows the participant to hire a personal care attendant and thereby achieve independence.


What are Personal Care Attendants?

They are the arms and legs of their employer. Their specific duties can be broken down into three areas:


  • Housecleaning

  • Cooking

  • Laundry

  • Shopping



  • Transferring

  • Skin care

  • Positioning

  • Bathing

  • Range of motion exercises

  • Dressing

  • Grooming

  • Toilet assistance; bowel and bladder care



Attendants who do drive may transport their employers to appointments, shopping, recreational outings, etc., and may run errands for them. They can also ride a para-transit or fixed route bus with or without their employer.

Participant Eligibility

  • Be 18 or older

  • Have a disability that results in the functional loss of two or more limbs

  • Need between 14 and 40 hours of attendant care weekly

  • Be capable of instructing and supervising attendants

  • Meet income eligibility criteria

  • Reside or through this program be able to reside in a non-institutional setting

  • Be capable of preparing or supervising the preparation of attendant payroll records and employer tax statements (after training from the Center)

For information, Contact CAL.


Recent Comments by Participants:

“I have been on the PCAP program for 26 years. It has allowed me to do the things I enjoy and allowed me to live independently with the assistance of attendants in my home, not a nursing home.”

“Without the PCAP program I would not have what I would consider an acceptable quality of life. I don’t have the resources to pay a PCA without assistance and maintain a residence.”

“This program has helped me stay home instead of having to go to a nursing home. Without this program I would not be able to live independently and would have to be in a nursing home. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for such a program.”

The program manages the ramp construction for people with mobility impairments in the Louisville Metro area only. CAL Murray has a partnership with the Salvation Army for ramp construction in Calloway County.

The Rampbuilders Program has been providing custom-designed home access ramps and railings to persons with disabilities since the incorporation of the Center for Accessible Living in 1981.

Whenever possible, ramps are provided at no cost to the recipient. Individuals with mobility impairments can safely enter and exit their homes, providing independence and opportunities for education, employment and recreation.

A ramp provides a very basic level of freedom so that persons with disabilities can make their own choices.

Our program has provided ramps to hundreds of individuals thanks to funding from sources that include or have included Louisville Metro Government, Louisville Metro Council, Calloway County Salvation Army, Medicaid and private donations.


The Center for Accessible Living’s satellite office in Murray has Ramp funds available for low-income individuals in Calloway County. Funds are provided by the Calloway County Salvation Army through their annual kettle drive. Individuals, including volunteers from VFW Post 6291, generously give their time to build these ramps according to ADA requirements. For more information about the program and to be placed on the waiting list please contact Carrissa Johnson 270-753-7676.



Who is Eligible?

Anyone living in the Louisville Metro area that has a permanent mobility impairment is eligible. Eligibility may vary due to rules set by funding sources. For more information please call the Ramp Program Coordinator at 589-6620 ext. 109.

How Can I Apply?

To receive an application for the ramp program in the mail or for more information please call the Ramp Program Coordinator at 589-6620 ext. 109.

How Long Does it Take to Get a Ramp?

Time to determine eligibility and to receive authorization varies, depending upon how quickly all paperwork is received from you. Variables such as whether you live in a restricted area such as a flood plain or historical district sometimes requires extra paperwork and government review.

The number of persons already waiting for a ramp and the amount of funding available also greatly impacts the time it may take to get a ramp.  The typical time it takes to finish a ramp is 1.5 to 2 years.  For that reason, it is best to get your paperwork in to reserve your spot on the list.

Who Builds or Installs the Ramps?

A reputable and experienced contractor or supplier builds or installs the ramps to code.

Who is Responsible for Care?

All maintenance is the responsibility of the ramp owner.

How Can I Help?

The Rampbuilders Program is always in need of funding. The average cost of a ramp is about $5,000.00. Every little bit helps, and donations are tax deductible. Please make your check out to the Center for Accessible Living with “Rampbuilders Program” on the memo line.

We greatly appreciate your support of independent living for everyone!

For more information or to make a donation, contact:
Rampbuilders Program
Center for Accessible Living
501 S 2nd Street, Suite 200
Louisville, KY 40202

A Partnership for Success

Pic of union ramp workers

Ford, UAW Local 862, and Louisville Metro Council Members work in conjunction with CAL in a ramp-building collaboration. Volunteers continue to build and plan as long as funding is available. The project started when some of the carpenters from the Ford Assembly Plant built a ramp for a co-worker who needed one. Ford and UAW Local 862 donated $50,000 to cover the cost of materials for about 25 ramps in the first year. Over the last two years, members of Louisville Metro Council have contributed over $120,000 in additional funding. The partnership has built over 100 ramps.

Resource: Ramp Building Manual

Ramp Manual is a guideline that is a safe and easy way to build ramps for single family homes. The basic ramp manual was based on building codes in Minnesota. We understand that there are building code guideline variables in other states. The manual is for sale for $15. You can find it on the web site www.wheelchairramp.org for people to review and copy for personal use.

Ramp Up Kentucky

The Center for Accessible Living is part of Ramp Up Kentucky, a network of partners providing loans of portable ramps around the state coordinated by the KATS Network. People with disabilities who are in immediate need for a ramp and awaiting permanent access to their homes can borrow a portable aluminum ramp at no cost for up to six months. The Ramp Up Kentucky! program was initially funded through a High Impact Innovative Assistive Technology (HIIAT) grant from the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. After a permanent ramp is obtained, the portable ramp will be returned for other users.

Ramps of varying lengths are available at three CAL locations, Louisville, Bowling Green and Murray. Contact the office closest to you for more information or call the KATS Network at 1-800-327-5287 for a partner close to you.


Whatever your situation may be, we have an interpreter to fill the need. 

The Center utilizes the services of one full-time, certified staff interpreter from our organization and several certified, professional freelance interpreters (self-employed).

All Interpreters are licensed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Our interpreters adhere to the RID/NAD Code of Ethics. Interpreters are available to travel throughout Kentucky. The Center can also arrange Deaf culture sensitivity training for interested groups.



To schedule an interpreter or for more information contact:

(502) 792-0626 or asl@calky.org

Weekdays, Business Hours

Rates: $55.00 per hour
One hour minimum on assignment plus one hour minimum travel time.
For a full description of our rates and policies, please contact our Interpreting Services department.

24 hour cancellation notice required.
Please try to request interpreters at least one week in advance.


CART Services

Communication Access Real-time Translation (CART) is a word-for-word speech-to-text interpreting service for people who need communication access. Most individuals are familiar with this technology through closed-captioning, which is widely used in television broadcasting. CART is an innovative technological advancement granting equal access to individuals in the deaf and hard-of-hearing community.

CART Fees: $135 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. There is no portal within the Louisville area.



“The Center for Accessible Living provides professional and efficient interpreter referral services. They know the local Deaf community members and their preferred interpreters. They also know the interpreting community and Louisville businesses well. This deep knowledge and connection results in better matching of interpreters to assignments and, therefore, better communication overall. CAL demonstrates a commitment to the Deaf community and consistently strives to find new ways of serving, educating, advocating, and empowering. I never hesitate to refer someone to Center for Accessible Living.”

– Michelle Niehaus, LCSW, Program Administrator, KY Division for Behavioral Health, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services

“The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts works with the interpreting services of the Center for Accessible Living when we have patrons who request ASL. The Kentucky Center is the recipient of several national accessibility awards and places a high priority on offering quality access services to our patrons.Working with CAL’s interpreting services allows us to provide our patrons with responsible, prepared and skilled interpreters so that they can fully enjoy what’s on our stages. I couldn’t be happier with the availability and the quality of the work.”

– Martha Newman, Director of Access Services, Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts


How to Work with an Interpreter

Partial excerpt from Interpreting: An Introduction
by Nancy Frishberg

A hearing person who has not worked with an interpreter before can avoid some common errors by following the hints below:

  • Speak directly to the deaf person. Act as if the interpreter were not there. Phrases such as “Ask him or tell her” are not necessary. Speak to the deaf person as you would anyone else.

  • Maintain a normal tone of voice. It is not necessary to yell, or speak overly loud.

  • Avoid speaking about the deaf person. Do not direct questions about the deaf person to the interpreter. They don’t know any more information about the deaf person than you do.

  • Phrases such as “Don’t interpret this….” will be interpreted. If hearing people wish to speak about something and they don’t want the deaf person to hear it, they should step out of the room. Golden Rule: If the interpreter hears it, it will be signed.

  • Speak at a normal pace. There is no need to stop and wait for the interpreter to finish signing after every few words. Keep in mind that if you are reading from a prepared speech, you will read much faster than normal.


TTY/TDD Relay Services

If you are unfamiliar with Relay Service and how to communicate over the telephone with individuals who are Deaf and hard of hearing, please view this page: Telecommunication Relay Services Guide

Relay phone numbers to know:
When calling from Voice to TTY/TDD: (800) 648-6057 or dial 711 and wait for the operator.
When calling from TTY/TDD to Voice: (800) 648-6056
Speech to Speech: (888) 244-6111

What is Video Relay?


Interpreter Corner

2016 Weekly Interpreter Calendar.

Working While on Benefits: Choices Navigator

Assisting Social Security Beneficiaries to go to work without fear of losing benefits.

Work Incentives for Individuals who Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the Social Security Administration.

CHOICES NAVIGATOR is a program funded by Social Security and administered in the western half of Kentucky by the Center for Accessible Living in Louisville.

The Center will make available a Community Work Incentive Coordinator, a knowledgeable advocate, who will help you understand complex work incentive program requirements.

This program helps SSI and SSDI disability beneficiaries, ages 14 through full retirement age, to understand their work options so that they may make more informed choices about going to work.  The program provides information about federal, state and local work incentive and related programs.

As a part of this program, you will receive information about the availability of Protection and Advocacy services that are available without charge.



  • Do you receive SSI or SSDI?

  • Are you working, about to start work, or actively looking for work?

  • Are you unsure of how working will affect your benefits?

  • Confused about all the rules and regulations?

  • Afraid of telling Social Security that you want to work?



Work Incentives Coordinators from across the state of Kentucky are available to assist SSI and SSDI  disability beneficiaries, and the family members and professionals assisting in their return to work effort with:

  • Information about Medical  Benefits, Social Security, Transitional Assistance, Public Housing, Workers Compensation, Resources for Training or Education Related to Employment

  • Personalized benefits planning and work incentives planning.

  • Information about how working will affect benefits

  • Ongoing assistance on issues concerning benefits


Serving the following Western Kentucky counties, including: Allen, Adair, Anderson, Ballard, Barren, Boyle, Breckinridge, Bullitt, Butler, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Carroll, Casey, Christian, Clinton, Crittenden, Cumberland, Daviess, Edmonson, Franklin, Fulton, Gallatin, Graves, Grayson, Green, Hancock, Hardin, Hart, Henderson, Henry, Hickman, Hopkins, Jefferson, Jessamine, Larue, Livingston, Logan, Lyon, Marion, Marshall, McCracken, McLean, Meade, Mercer, Metcalfe, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Nelson, Ohio, Oldham, Owen, Russell, Shelby, Simpson, Spencer, Taylor, Todd, Trigg, Trimble, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, and Woodford.

The Center for Accessible Living does not discriminate on the basis of Age, Race, Gender, Color, race or ethnicity, National origin, Creed or Religion, Sexual orientation or gender identity and expression, Disability, or type of disability, and provides on request all materials and information in alternative formats. 


This document is funded through a Social Security cooperative agreement.  Although Social Security reviewed this document for accuracy, it does not constitute an official Social Security communication. Award # 5 WIP15050424-05-00.

This website is produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expense.


Social Security Administration – www.ssa.gov 

Ticket to Work, visit www.chooseworkttw.net