Youth IL Specialist – Part Time
Interested qualified individuals may submit a Resume or CV to:
Center for Accessible Living.
501 S 2nd Street, Suite 200
Louisville, KY 40202
Please, no phone calls.
Applications Accepted through COB, June 30, 2017.
Department: Program Services
Position Reports to: Reports directly to the Youth IL Coordinator. Under general supervision by CAL Management Team.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the IL Youth Program, to include one-on-one and group curriculum, IL and Advocacy trainings, workshops and events. Works to enhance the quality of the lives of individuals with disabilities.
- Responsible for day-to-day activities of the program.
- Work with the Youth IL Coordinator, Management team to design, plan, and evaluate youth programming, including Pre-ETS services and CIL Core services under WIOA.
- Assist consumers in developing an Independent Living Plan or waiver and complete activities necessary for Center intake process.
- Follow up with consumers to assure that the requested services are maintained.
- Refer consumers who need other IL or supportive services internally or externally to the appropriate entity, assist consumers to increase their awareness of community resources.
- Collaborate jointly with OVR, OFB, School Systems, and other related youth programs to implement programs to serve youth.
- Collaborate jointly with resources and community programs such as rehabilitation services, mental health facilities, transportation, government offices, etc, to achieve consumer Independent Living goals.
- Teach self-advocacy and system advocacy skills to consumers to assist in developing problem solving skills.
- Participate in the Center’s systems advocacy activities.
- Provide direct service to consumers with complaints regarding discrimination issues.
- Provide Independent living skills training to consumers.
- Provide information and referral services.
- Attend required trainings and other community meetings as necessary.
- Complete necessary and required paperwork and case notes, maintain electronic and paper files and documentation according to Center procedures.
- Assist in development of goals as needed for individuals and or families requiring assistance; including, when appropriate, interviewing and evaluating consumers for services, formulate plans, goals and support consumers toward successful completion, and/or assist consumers in obtaining services.
- Facilitate and assist in developing activities and independent living skills trainings for Center consumers.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report progress and problems to the Coordinator of Services.
- Adhere to CAL philosophy, mission statement and policies.
- Maintain consumer confidentiality.
- Respect the rights, values and beliefs of consumers.
- Maintain scheduled appointments.
- Participate in the outreach activities in accordance with the Center’s outreach plan.
- Serve as Center liaison to community groups as assigned by Center CAL Leadership Team.
- Participate in resource development activities of the Center.
- All other duties as assigned by Center management team.
- Associates Degree, and/or minimum of three years life experience with a disability preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and multi-tasking abilities.
- Excellent personal, written, and verbal skills are required.
- Strong computer skills, including experience and familiarity with MS Office, specifically in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including people with disabilities, in a professional manner.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with consumers and co-workers and the community.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
- Able to arrange dependable transportation in the area.
- Good problem solving skills, especially in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and genuine concern for others.
- Knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy.
- Knowledge of disabilities and their characteristics.
- Bilingual/bicultural helpful.
- Individuals who have experience as consumers of disability-related services encouraged to apply.
This position is Grant funded, renewable on an annual basis.
The Center for Accessible Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer for all persons regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. People with disabilities, veterans, minorities encouraged to apply.