Interested qualified individuals may submit a Resume or CV to:
Center for Accessible Living.
501 S 2nd Street, Suite 200
Louisville, KY 40202
Please, no phone calls.
Applications Accepted through COB, September 29, 2017.
Center for Accessible Living, Inc.
Job Title: Independent Living (IL) Specialist
Department: Program Services
Position Reports to: Reports directly to the Murray Office Manager and Coordinator of Services. Under general supervision by CAL Management Team.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the PCAP Program as prescribed in 920 KAR 1:090 Personal Care Assistance Services. Primarily engaged in the day-to-day program aspects of the PCAP Department consistent with responsibilities and duties outlined in the State 920 KAR 1:090 Personal Care Assistance Services. Travel within the Purchase and Pennyrile areas is required.
Responsible for the development and implementation of the IL Program, to include one-on-one and group curriculum and IL trainings, workshops and events. Works to enhance the quality of the lives of individuals with disabilities. (60%)
This is for one full-time position located in the Center for Accessible Living Inc.’s Murray Office; full-time benefits are available for full-time staff after 90-day period.
1. Responsible for overall direction, implementation, and day-to-day activities of the PCAP and IL programs.
2. Assist consumers in developing an Individual Care Plan/Independent Living Plan or waiver and complete activities necessary for Center intake process.
3. Maintain ongoing communication with consumer’s personal attendants, healthcare professionals, and other key individuals to facilitate service delivery.
4. Establish eligibility of individual applicants by completing a prescreening application, conducting a home evaluation, and meeting with other evaluation team members to submit recommendation for state approval.
5. Oversee the development and maintenance of the attendant registry.
6. Develop and implement recruiting methods for personal care attendants for the attendant registry. Publicize the availability of the program.
7. Communicate changes in consumer personal care attendant status; coordinate schedule for on-site visits notify of new hire(s) and/or requests for employment verification; maintain open lines of communication regarding all aspects of program operation,
8. Review and approve timesheets for personal care attendants of all assigned consumers during biweekly payroll process.
9. Distribute paperwork to consumers and/or personal representatives and personal care attendants as needed.
10. Collaborate jointly with resources and community programs such as rehabilitation services, mental health facilities, transportation, government offices, etc, to achieve consumer Independent Living goals.
11. Provide the “core” services of the Center for Accessible Living to consumers; independent Living Skills Training, Systems and Individual Advocacy, Information and Referral services, Transition Services, and Peer Support.
12. Participate in the Center’s systems advocacy activities.
13. Complete necessary and required paperwork and case notes, consumer timesheets, etc. Maintain electronic and paper files and documentation according to Center procedures.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Report progress and problems to the Coordinator of Services.
2. Adhere to CAL philosophy, mission statement and policies.
3. Maintain consumer confidentiality.
4. Respect the rights, values and beliefs of consumers.
5. Maintain scheduled appointments.
6. Participate in the outreach activities in accordance with the Center’s outreach plan.
7. Serve as Center liaison to community groups as assigned by Center CAL Leadership Team.
8. Participate in resource development activities of the Center.
9. All other duties as assigned by Center management team.
1. Applicant shall meet at least one (1) of the following minimum qualifying requirements:
a. A bachelor’s degree with two (2) years’ work experience in the disability community; or
b. Complete fifty-four (54) semester hours of college with four (4) years’ experience working in the disability community;
c. The agency may waive the education requirements required by this section based on consideration of related work experience
2. Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and multi-tasking abilities.
3. Excellent personal, written, and verbal skills are required.
4. Strong computer skills, including experience and familiarity with MS Office, specifically in Word, Excel, and Outlook.
5. Ability to work with diverse populations, including people with disabilities, in a professional manner.
6. Ability to maintain effective relationships with consumers and co-workers and the community.
7. Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
8. Able to arrange dependable transportation in the area.
9. Good problem-solving skills, especially in a fast paced environment.
10. Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude and genuine concern for others.
1. Knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy.
2. Knowledge of disabilities and their characteristics.
3. Bilingual/bicultural helpful.
4. Individuals who have experience as consumers of disability-related services encouraged to apply.
This position is Grant funded, renewable on an annual basis.
The Center for Accessible Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer for all persons regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation. People with disabilities, veterans, minorities encouraged to apply.